Friday, March 28, 2014

The God with the Bowl : An April Art Challenge

 
Today I read the news that David Trampier, famed for his work with Dungeons & Dragons and his much loved comic strip, Wormy, had passed away after a long illness. I make no secret that I worshiped at the altar of Trampier in my younger days, relentlessly studying and copying his work. His colors, his ink work; he was a masterful artist that affected so many of us around the world. And his most famous and referenced piece has to be above: The "Idol" cover of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook.

So, I want to propose that May 3rd be "The God with the Bowl" Memoriam for Dave.  To celebrate it, I reach out to you, fellow gamers and artists. I propose we create a tribute by each of us creating our own take on that classic cover. You are welcome to use whatever medium you like, as long as you are not merely modifying a photograph of the actual original cover image. Also, try to keep things tasteful and all ages appropriate.  Then, come the 3rd, we post the images.

This is not a contest, so there are no prizes or judging of the entries. Also, the artist submitting retains all rights to the image they submit. This celebration is all these images will be used for, and there will be no money earned by this project.

 Dan Proctor from Goblinoid Games has generously offered a free Goblinoid Games pdf of your choice from their vast library of awesome if you contribute a piece to this project! How cool is that?

So, who's with me? Images need to be in .jpeg format and at a resolution of 72 dpi. Submit your work to trampiertribute@gmail.com by April 30th. Include the image, how you want us to present your name, the title of the image and any other information you want included in the caption under the work (your website, blog, or just something you want to say about the image) After we receive your entry, you will be emailed with instructions on how to get your free Goblinoid Games pdf.

Alright, get scribblin!

4 comments:

  1. Cool idea. I will be away 4/12-19, I will see if I can make time before then. I loved most of the 'original' artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really wonderful idea. If I can find the time I will try to contribute. RIP, David Trampier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Steve! I'd be happy to donate a PDF of anything I publish to each person who submits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Dan, that's very generous! Email me so we can hammer out details!

    ReplyDelete